Many a times the Internet Explorer will behave erratic and may open websites which you did not intend to get underway. This is mostly due to infection from Spyware, Virus, Trojan or other miscellaneous code been executed on the Internet Explorer which causes the Internet Explorer open random websites. You may encounter following problems.
- Internet Explorer opens random websites anytime.
- Internet Explorer opens website on launch or at start.
- Internet Explorer opens websites at an interval.
- Internet Explorer is hijacked and opens only one site.
- Internet Explorer redirects to a website always.
- Internet Explorer loads some website on not found pages.
If you have any of the above or similar problems then your Internet Explorer has been hijacked and is infected. Most likely the attacker is also receiving your confidential information which may include “the websites you visit”, Your login information such as “username and password”, Your “credit card” information and so on. In some cases the attacker can also receive all the keystrokes (keyboard typed text) such as chat sessions or important documents or emails.
How to restore Internet Explorer to default values?
If you think your Internet Explorer has been hijacked then you should carry out the following.
- Update Antivirus Software: Update your antivirus software and scan the whole system for infected files. This should work in some cases and may not work in some cases as “custom written” or “unidentified” or “not so popular” – Trojans, Viruses, Spywares do not have a definition in the antivirus definition updates.
- Run HijackThis: HijackThis is a tool which helps to clean or remove hijacking from the system. It’s free to download and use, upon download just run the software and it will find likely problems in the system. Look into the logs to find out which values are to be removed – This has to be performed by advance users only or you can post the log in tech related forums and folks there will help you out. Once identified, fix the problems by hitting the “fix” button and you should have a normal behaving internet explorer.
- Use FireFox: FireFox is one of the most secure internet browsers available today, it will help you to surf the internet faster and will also protect your system from miscellaneous code being run from crappy websites.
On a side note, you should always download software from authentic websites as most of the software which are available for free contain adware, spyware, viruses and trojans.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.